[mod_python] does a mod_python handler exist to generate charts/graphs? (png images)

perry.tew at cibavision.novartis.com perry.tew at cibavision.novartis.com
Thu Sep 18 16:38:09 EST 2003

David,
  Thanks for the information.  I was looking at using pygdchart2 from
nullcube.  I was pleased with the interface they've written.  Have you any
experience with them?  I figured it shouldn't be technically difficult to
create an interface of parameters that mapped to chart settings.

The only concern I have so far is the method of outputting the chart once
rendered.  The examples use the draw method:
"""
 chart.draw(filespec)
Draw the graph to the specified file. If the filespec argument is a
string, it will be treated as the path to a file. Otherwise, filespec is
assumed to be a Python file object.
"""

I'm new to mod_python, so I'm not sure how to pass the output stream of
the request object to the draw() method.  If you know, I'm be grateful. If
not, I'll work at it.  I haven't really dug yet.

btw,   I saw your post earlier about your wiki.  While cruising your site
I found a MLM I was in need for.  Thanks!

Perry Tew

perry.tew at cibavision.novartis.com wrote:

>Hello everyone,
>   I was about the go down the road of developing a handler to generate
>charts,
>similar to the mod_perl Apache::GD::Graph.  I wanted to make sure
>something doesn't exist
>before I reinvent the wheel.  Does anyone know of such a thing yet?  If
>so, would you please
>provide a url?
>
>Thanks,
>Perry Tew

There are several Python graphing packages which you could use towards
this end, the question is how nicely will they plug into a web
environment.
I am not aware of any that are set up to do this using mod_python.
I'm also busy looking at the problem, for an application we are
currently converting to be web based, so discuss plans / things you find
here and I will to and hopefully we can come up with a nice solution...

Thanks,
David