[mod_python] Best place to start learning both mod_python andPython

Mike Verdone mike_verdone at shaw.ca
Sun Oct 26 14:07:57 EST 2003

Hi!

For learning Python, your best bet is to start with the tutorials at
www.python.org.

http://www.python.org/doc/2.3.2/tut/tut.html

You will probably already know the concepts explained in the tutorial, but
it's a good way to learn Python's syntax. The documentation on python.org
also includes the library reference, which is good to have. Another good way
to get help on the libraries is from the Python interpreter. If you run the
python interpreter and type help(), you will be in the help menu. Then, type
a module name and you will get documentation on that module.

Documentation on mod_python is available at www.modpython.org. Read the FAQ
and the Docs.

There are a few ways to interface Python and Apache, but mod_python is the
best. (In my opinion as a member of the mod_python mailing list ;-) ).
Another way to do it is by using regular CGI, where each .py file is
basically a script that is run externally by Apache. This has much lower
performance, and doesn't make it easier to develop, so I'd stay away. There
was also a module named mod_snake that supposedly had better performance than
mod_python, but I don't think it's supported anymore. Finally, there's Zope,
which is an enterprise server based on Python. Haven't really used it, but
it's supposed to be good. www.zope.org.

Hope that helps!

Mike.