[mod_python] Documentation suggestions for section 4.7.1 inthe beta mod_python manual

Michael C. Neel neel at mediapulse.com
Fri Nov 7 14:42:29 EST 2003

> First, please explain to us why we need yet another cookie class,

more classes do not mean you cannot use a class.  mod_python works quite
well with the python cookie class, I've used them together for a while
now.  I also like having more than one choice, and if someone wants to
write even another cookie class I see no problem with it.  I get to pick
the best one for my needs vs having one solution that I have to keep
tweaking to get it to do what I need.

> > Also, there are efficient-length considerations; constructing
> > cookies representing 100kB data structures would not be
> "best practice."
>
> Apache will limit any header length to about 4k :-)

With out looking at the spec, I believe that clients are to reject
cookies of more than 4096 bytes, and only allow one server (domain) to
store 20(?) cookies max.  Then again, the last time a browser was done
that followed the RFCs...  well I can't ever recall that happening =)

A cool addition to the mod_python cookie class would be to raise an
Execption (CookieLength?) if a cookie would result in more than the RFC
limit.

Mike