[mod_python] ANNOUNCE: gila, mod_python util library

Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy grisha at modpython.org
Wed Nov 5 00:05:58 EST 2003

On Tue, 4 Nov 2003, Michael Owens wrote:

> That's a very interesting question, and frankly I've never given it a lot of
> thought.

I didn't give it a lot of thought either, until I came across the need for
it. This turned out a bit more complex than orginally anticipated (ok,
this is an understatement - it was a paint to get working), which is one
of the main motivators for providing session support as part of mod_python
(the latest beta has it).

The notion of a session always (or almost always) assumes that no more
than one request for a session is being processed at a time.  This is
default behaviour in JSP, for example, even though the users often don't
even know it.

If you have a session that, say increments a counter, then unless you have
some sort of a session locking mechanism, your numbers will increment, but
not always as expected :-)

Anyway - when I saw "session support" I thought there may be a chance you
knew something I didn't :-)

Grisha