[mod_python] Threads...

Vio vmilitaru at sympatico.ca
Mon May 12 23:53:03 EST 2003

Greetings,
since python adaptors to the 3 RDBMS I've tried so far all require
python "with" thread support, I've recompiled python "without-threads"
specifically for mod_python (but without "installing" it).

Then

./configure
--with-apache=/q/apache_1.3.27
--with-python=/q/Python-2.2.2
--with-apxs=/usr/local/apache/bin/apxs

compiles OK, installs OK.
But then apache chokes on new mod_python with:

.../apachectl start

Syntax error on line 210 of /usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf:
Cannot load /usr/local/apache/libexec/mod_python.so into server:
/usr/local/apache/libexec/mod_python.so: undefined symbol: openpty

Line 210 of httpd.conf is simply the 'LoadModule' directive for
mod_python.so

So, provided this error is related to the thread support issue (from my
corner of the globe it sure smell like it), how is the list juggling
with different versions of python (some apps depending on python "with"
thread support, some depending on python "without" ... and I needing
"both")? Or is there a simpler solution I simply missed while going
through the docs?

Cheers,
Vio