[mod_python] FreeBSD/Apache2/mod_python3.0.3 install issue

Steve Holmlund sholmlund at coastside.net
Sat May 3 14:36:19 EST 2003

Hi,

I'm new to this list and apologize in advance if I've missed the obvious.
I've searched the archives and found a couple similar instances of my
problem but also think that recent changes should have fixed what I'm
seeing. Hence, this post.

I've installed mod_python 3.0.3 with Apache 2.0.45 on both FreeBSD 4.8 and
5.0. I add the LoadModule line to httpd.conf and restart Apache, at which
point I get:

Syntax error on line 274 of /usr/local/etc/apache2/httpd.conf:
Cannot load /usr/local/libexec/apache2/mod_python.so into server:
/usr/local/libexec/apache2/mod_python.so: Undefined symbol "pthread_create"

Before installing, I updated the entire ports collection source so I should
be current in that regard. As far as I can tell from reading the port
Makefile in Apache2, threads are enabled. So I didn't modify anything, just
ran make, make install.

I remain confused about how to modify httpd.conf, in spite of the message at
the end of the make install of mod_python, which talks about setting
PythonPath, etc. Could my incomplete modification of httpd.conf be the cause
of the error I'm seeing? Or is something else wrong?

Also, could someone show me a slightly more explicit (so to speak) snippet
of httpd.conf that correctly modifies the standard one placed by a ports
installation on FreeBSD? I just want the minimum mods to httpd.conf to
confirm functionality before proceeding to other setups.

Again, sorry if I'm missing the obvious. Anyone with the time to help, many
thanks in advance.

Steve Holmlund