[mod_python] ConnectionHandler sigsegv (fwd)

Robert Sanderson azaroth at liverpool.ac.uk
Mon Jun 30 14:14:45 EST 2003

On Fri, 27 Jun 2003, Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Jun 2003, Robert Sanderson wrote:

> > However, the connection object is a little too high level ... are there
> > plans for implementing a lower level 'socket' like interface, rather than
> > a blocking line or character reader?  The mod_perl module has this sort of
> > interface for example (AFAICT)
> > For example, I need to be able to consume all of the data currently
> > waiting into one chunk to process ... which may or may not end in a

> I'm curious what mod_perl folks are doing, I haven't looked at it.

I'm by no means an expert, in fact I've only just started looking at the
connection handling stuff in Apache, but:

http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/api/Apache/Filter.html#Streaming_Filter_API

Read
  $f->read(my $buffer, $read_len);
Reads at most $read_len characters into $buffer. It returns a true value
as long as it had something to read, and a false value otherwise.

> Unless I'm mising something, the only way you can deal with this kind of
> data is read a character at a time.
> (Or non-blocking IO, but off the top of my head I don't even know if
> Apache supports it)

There's a flag: APR_NONBLOCK_READ that can be passed to apr_bucket_read()

Have a look at:
  http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-apache/
for example  (Which uses mod_python as an example :) )

Rob

,'---/::::::::::.    Nebmedes:  telnet: nebmedes.o-r-g.org 7777
____/:::::::::::::.                WWW:  http://nebmedes.o-r-g.org:8000/
I L L U M I N A T I