[mod_python] supporting modular mod_python extensionsvs."folding" mod_psp

Greg Stein gstein at lyra.org
Thu Jun 12 15:12:44 EST 2003

On Wed, Jun 11, 2003 at 02:52:01PM +1000, Dave Cole wrote:

> Michael> I'll give a second on ezt.py; even though Albatross is my
> Michael> first choice.  Ezt.py follows many of the same ideals of
> Michael> Albatross when it comes to templates, and also is not geared
> Michael> only for the web like albatross so it can be handly in other
> Michael> apps too.
>
> Just had a look at ezt.py.  It is very similar in structure and
> approach to the Albatross templates.  Looking at the CVS logs it seems
> like ezt.py and Albatross sprung into existence at almost the same
> time.  Bizarre.

The CVS logs from edna are the original location. It was started in February
2001. Then I copied a version over into ViewCVS. Then another copy over into
SubWiki. Oh, and there is a copy in Subversion now -- we use it in the build
system for generating MSVC Project files (.dsp and .dsw) and for VC.Net
files. I also have a couple home projects that use it.

One of these days (with all that spare time), I'm going to create a little
SVN project area and check in the "reference copy" there, and maintain it
there. Then, in SubWiki and SVN (at least), I can simply use the
svn:externals feature to yank it into my projects. Eventually, I'll get
ViewCVS and edna into SVN and they can directly reference it too...

Oh, just for a bit more time each day... :-)

But yes, there are some similarities to Albatross. But it seems like
Albatross has variables and also makes function calls explicit. I wonder,
though: can Albatross be used outside of a markup-based system? Does it
assume and take advantage of within-markup-style-text templating?

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/