[mod_python] Directory or Location?

Roy S. Rapoport mod_python at ols.inorganic.org
Wed Jun 11 23:41:25 EST 2003

On Thu, Jun 12, 2003 at 02:25:34AM -0400, Timothy M. Brauch wrote:
> > That's because you haven't read the right documentation :)
> >
> > Sorry, I don't mean to be flip about this, but in the end, this shows
> > something of the problem in trying to use something like mod_python
> > without having a good understanding of the underlying application.
> > "<Directory>" and "<Location>" directives are Apache directives, and
> > they're well-documented in the Apache docs.  I don't feel like looking
> > at the mod_python docs, but either they say that you should look into
> > the Apache config file format to at least understand it somewhat or ...
> > well, they should.
> >
> > -roy
>
> That would help explain things a lot.  I've been using Python for quite a
> few years now and I am new to Apache, probably opposite of most users.  I
> just did a default install of Apache and haven't learned/played with it too
> much.  Python, however, I use everyday and can do most anything with it by
> now (except using mod_python it would seem).
>
> I didn't see anywhere in the mod_python docs the mention that Directory and
> Location are Apache directives.  They are just used.  But, now that I know
> it, I've got some reading to do over at apache.org.

Actually, I'll go a step further than that -- every single item you put
in the httpd.conf file (including the 'AuthName' and 'AuthType'
directives in 3.4) is an Apache directive.  Linking mod_python into
Apache lets you use some Apache directives that you wouldn't have access
to otherwise (all the Python*Handler directives), but they're still
_Apache_ directives -- and it's important to keep that in mind.

You're right, by the way --  you and I are coming at this from opposite
ends.  I've been managing Apache for years now, and am new to Python.

So yeah, this definitely indicates something of a shortcoming of the
mod_python tutorial (not really the only one, I think, judging by how
many people have problems getting mod_python to work as they'd expect).

-roy