[mod_python] Load Error

Timothy M. Brauch tbrauch at mindless.com
Wed Jun 11 01:26:19 EST 2003

I am running Apache 2.0.40-11.5 on a Red Hat 8.0 box with Python 2.2.1 and
mod_python 3.0.1.  Apache and Python were installed when I installed Red Hat
and have been updated using up2date.  I installed mod_python using an RPM I
found on http://www.rpmfind.net.  In the docs on the modpython website, I
assumed I could skip all steps up to 2.3.2.  I then added the line

LoadModule python_module libexec/mod_python.so

to my httpd.conf file at the end of all of the other LoadModule commands.
And I added

<Directory /var/www/python>
  AddHandler python-program .py
  PythonHandler mptest
  PythonDebug On
</Directory>

To the end of my httpd.conf file.  Then, I did apachectl stop and apachectl
start.  I got errors

[warn] module python_module is already loaded, skipping

both on the stop and start.  Okay, I thought, it was already loaded (but I
didn't see anything in my httpd.conf file for it), and it's not loading it
again, there shouldn't be any problems.  So, I removed the LoadModule line
from the httpd.conf file and all is right in the world.  My question, how is
this module being loaded?  Some sort of magic I suspect.

If you answer this question for me, I have one or two more just waiting.
Hopefully they will be just as easy.