[mod_python] supporting modular mod_python extensions vs. "folding" mod_psp

Jack Diederich jack_diederich at email.com
Fri Jun 6 13:55:45 EST 2003

From: Todd Grimason <todd at slack.net>
> Whether or not it's this frustration, or the ease of Python that results in so many people saying "ah heck, I'll write my own web framework" I can't say, but to this newcomer it starts to look like mature web development tools in Python are a mile-wide and an inch deep.

No one can read all mailing lists, but this has been covered
at length on comp.lang.python.  The general feeling is that
there are a lot of frameworks for a couple reasons:
  * No one has written a killer framework yet
  * Different users have different needs

>From a marketing perspective it sucks because you can't say
python is _this_ excact collection of tools.  But python
is a language and not a framework (and only sometimes a
language coupled with a WWW framework).  No one laments
the variety of C web servers and frameworks.

This is only a problem if you compare python to PHP.  PHP
isn't a language, (or if it is, it is a nasty little hack of
a language) it is a specific framework for web stuff.
I prefer python for web apps because I prefer python for
everything (for a reasonable value of everything).
But python isn't PHP and their goals & capabilities shouldn't
be confused or compared.

-jack