[mod_python] problem creating an instance and debugging

Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy grisha at modpython.org
Thu Jul 3 13:31:54 EST 2003

On Thu, 3 Jul 2003, Daniel Rubin wrote:

> An error is happening in the xmlrpc.py program, and this isn't making
> it's own stack dump or errors written to the apache logs on the server.
> So I can't debug what the nature of the error that is happening in the
> remotely called function.

So, tell me if I understand this correctly (I'm not familiar with
xmlrpc.py) -

Xmlrpc.py is a CGI script which reports its errors by writing them to
stderr. Something happens when you run it under mod_python, and you don't
know what it is because stderr goes nowhere.

As far as I know, stderr output may end up in your error log, but I don't
think that's guaranteed and may be dependent on how your httpd was
compiled.  I think there is really no solution to this other than to tweak
xmlrpc into raising its exception or using mod_python's log_error to
report it.

HTH,

Grisha