/index.html wierdness was: RE: [mod_python] How do I serve up .html files?

Michael C. Neel neel at mediapulse.com
Wed Aug 27 15:25:52 EST 2003

I've noticed this /index.html wierdness as well.  It seems (in 2.7.8 at
least) that unless there is a file in the document root called
index.html, mod_python is not called not matter if it's set in a
Location or Directory section.  I tested this with a simple:

def handler(req):
	assert 0, req.uri

With the conf of:

<Location />
        SetHandler python-program
        PythonHandler www
</Location>

and later with

<Directory /home/httpd/webroot>
        SetHandler python-program
        PythonHandler www
</Directory>

And would always get a directory listing (or an error lising not allowed
page) for site.com/, but every other url tried would throw the assert
execption.  If I create an empty index.html file in the document root,
apache does its internal redirect and my assert get's picked up on the
redirect.  This is only needed for the root though, I do not need to
create the sub dirs or index.html pages in them.

Mike