[mod_python] Authentication behaviour

Etienne Posthumus etienne at cs.vu.nl
Thu Aug 7 09:44:54 EST 2003

On Thu, 7 Aug 2003, David Fraser wrote:
> However, note this article about incompatibilities with at least some
> versions of IE and Apache:
> http://www.eweek.com/print_article/0,3668,a%3D24177,00.asp
> I think I've seen problems from this, so I would concur with the advice
> about using session cookies if possible.

It is IMHO a pity that the 'proper' authentication methods for HTTP don't
really work broadly enough. In my experience Digest works OK'ish for
simple URIs, but as soon as you start using parameters in your URI MS IE
(and Mac OS X Safari) fails as it passes throught the realms differently
to what Apache expects.

Bugger. :-( So at the moment I use SSL + Basic with a self-signed
certificate. Not ideal but the only pragmatic choice.

Etienne Posthumus
Programmer, IIDS - Intelligent Interactive Distributed Systems
http://www.iids.org/
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam