[mod_python] modpython and SSL

Gary Benson gbenson at redhat.com
Tue Jun 18 16:30:16 EST 2002

On Tue, 18 Jun 2002, Jacques Marée wrote:

> We have used Apache + modpython + Python + MS-Access for a project, and
> everything works fine.
>
> Our client ask for a new development, but with the secure protocol SSL.
>
> Do you have experimented such an environment? The Apache documentation
> shows how to patch the HTTP server in order to handle SSL, but I wonder
> if modpython will continue to work. In other words, do the CGIs receive
> the same information when the httpd server uses SSL or when httpd server
> is "unsecured" ?

All your scripts should work straight out of the box unless you generate
absolute URLs (in which case you'll have to change the http to a https).
FYI CGIs and the like actually get _more_ information when SSL is running,
since a bunch of variables get set to let your scripts know what cipher is
in use and so on.

Don't forget to recompile all your modules (mod_python included) against
the SSL-patched Apache since they are binary-incompatible with each other.

Cheers,
Gary

[ gbenson at redhat.com ][ GnuPG 85A8F78B ][ http://inauspicious.org/ ]