[mod_python] installation problems

Lex Berezhny LBerezhny at DevIS.com
Sat Dec 21 20:53:41 EST 2002

hi all,

  I'm having trouble installing mod_python.

My environment:
Red Hat Linux release 7.3
gcc 2.96

My install process:

wget http://www.apache.org/dist/httpd/httpd-2.0.43.tar.gz
tar xzvf httpd-2.0.43.tar.gz
wget http://apache.webmeta.com/dist/httpd/modpython/mod_python-3.0.1.tgz
tar xzvf mod_python-3.0.1.tgz
wget http://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.2.2/Python-2.2.2.tgz
tar xzvf Python-2.2.2.tgz

cd httpd-2.0.43
./configure --prefix=/usr/local/apache2
make
make install

cd ../Python-2.2.2/
./configure
make
make install

cd ../mod_python-3.0.1/
./configure --with-apxs=/usr/local/apache2/bin/apxs
--with-python=/usr/local/bin/python2.2
make
make install

Warning messages I get (during make):

*** Warning: This library needs some functionality provided by
-lpython2.2.
*** I have the capability to make that library automatically link in
when
*** you link to this library.  But I can only do this if you have a
*** shared version of the library, which you do not appear to have.

*** Warning: libtool could not satisfy all declared inter-library
*** dependencies of module mod_python.  Therefore, libtool will create
*** a static module, that should work as long as the dlopening
*** application is linked with the -dlopen flag.

The final, fatal, error (during make install):

make[2]: Leaving directory
`/usr/local/apache2install/mod_python-3.0.1/src'

Performing DSO installation.

/usr/bin/install -c src/mod_python.so /usr/local/apache2/modules
/usr/bin/install: cannot stat `src/mod_python.so': No such file or
directory
make[1]: *** [install_dso] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/apache2install/mod_python-3.0.1'
make: *** [install] Error 2

any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated,

 - lex