[mod_python] It all started with that -DEAPI error...

Conrad Steenberg conrad at hep.caltech.edu
Thu Aug 29 13:59:14 EST 2002

Hi Matthew

Another thing you may check is to run 'strace httpd -X' to show where
mod_python looks for libraries etc. It may be that it picks up python
libraries from the wrong python version.

Cheers!

Conrad

On Thu, 2002-08-29 at 13:44, WOOD MATTHEW DAVID wrote:
> I did not see that.  However, it didn't help me either.  But thanks
> regardless.  I really appreciate the help.
>
> Matthew D. Wood, University of Colorado
>
> On Thu, 29 Aug 2002, Sean Abrahams wrote:
>
> > Matthew,
> >
> > I had the DEAPI error yesterday. Running Debian (level testing).
> >
> > This is what I did.
> >
> > """
> > ./configure
> >
> > edit src/Makefile and change the OPT= line to read OPT=-DEAPI
> >
> > then run "make dso"
> >
> > then run "make install_dso"
> > """
> >
> > Hope this works for you.
> >
> > --Sean
> >
> > Thursday, August 29, 2002, 12:51:37 PM, you wrote:
> >
> > WMD> Hello everyone.  I would love to say that I'm not a newbie to mod_python,
> > WMD> but I've never successfully installed it.
> >
> > WMD> My latest attempt is on an OpenBSD-3.1 box.
> >
> > WMD> this server has both python2.1 and python2.2 on it.  (I didn't
> > WMD> particularly want python2.1, but the OpenBSD ports tree decided that I
> > WMD> would get both python versions.  :-) )
> >
> > WMD> Regardless, I uncompressed the mod_python tarball, and went to work,
> > WMD> eventually recieving the standard -DEAPI error:
> >
> > WMD>    > sudo apachectl start
> > WMD>    [Thu Aug 29 13:20:35 2002] [warn] Loaded DSO
> > WMD>    /usr/lib/apache/modules/mod_python.so uses plain Apache 1.3 API, this
> > WMD>    module might crash under EAPI! (please recompile it with -DEAPI)
> > WMD>    /usr/sbin/apachectl start: httpd could not be started
> >

> > WMD> At first, I thought it was the -DEAPI problem that was preventing me from
> > WMD> starting the httpd altogether, but after searching around on the
> > WMD> mod_python webpage, I (think I) fixed that error.  Now, I just can't start
> > WMD> the httpd deamon:
> >
> > WMD>     > sudo apachectl start
> > WMD>     /usr/sbin/apachectl start: httpd could not be started
> >

> > WMD> I can start the deamon when I comment out the "LoadModule
> > WMD> python_module..." line, but that's clearly not the goal.
> >
> > WMD> I'm hoping that I'm not reporting something stupid (other than me), but I
> > WMD> just can't get this to work.  I've asked several of my "better at UNIX
> > WMD> than I am" friends, and they have no ideas either.
> >
> > WMD> What do you guys suggest?
> >
> > WMD> Oh, and by the way, my system is using the standard apache1.3 that comes
> > WMD> "out of the box" with OpenBSD-3.1 .
> >
> > WMD> Again, thanks for any time that you may have to spare.
> >

> > WMD> Matthew D. Wood

| Conrad Steenberg                        |
| Caltech, Mail Code 356-48               |
| Pasadena, CA, 91125                     |
| e-mail: conrad at hep.caltech.edu          |
| Tel: (626) 395-8758                     |