[mod_python] Promoting Python as web application development language

vio vmilitaru at sympatico.ca
Tue Aug 27 11:28:14 EST 2002

I just received a message from Grisha adressing the first part of yours,
I hope to your satisfaction.

For the second part, I totally agree that enthousiasm is not a good metric
in this (most!) issues. But I would like to add that
the essence of my posts was not as much about Grisha's code, as about the need
of a good framework to write apache apps in python. Give me any other package
which accomplishes this task as good or better than Grisha's code, and I'll
embrace that, and champion it instead. My point was not 'mod_python' as
Grisha's code, but mod_python as a sister module to mod_perl, a solid module
to write apache apps in python. That's the core source of my enthousiasm.
To avoid any confusion: I'm simply  championning Grisha's code out of a lack
of a better alternative. The fact that it does the job it's supposed to doesn't
hurt, though :)

More particularily regarding Grisha's code, I disagree with your assessment
that installed base should be considered as a metric in this instance.
For the simple reason that, in my personal opinion,
lack of exposure is its main overall problem. Though I'm
not a marketing expert, and I have no particular interest in seeing this
precise piece of code exposed on the apache site more than any other who
could accomplish the same tasks, my gut feeling is that
once people will see and 'tip their toe' in it, they will share my enthousiasm
(to various degrees, obviously). The core truth is that python is an extremely
easy, clean and powerful programming language. Combining it with the most
popular web server out there might open the door to 'democratizing' the
web application development.
In my opinion :)

Regards,
Vio

* Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.Coar at Golux.Com> [020827 10:41]: