[mod_python] Promoting Python as web application development language

Michael C. Neel neel at mediapulse.com
Fri Aug 23 11:29:53 EST 2002

Well, what a day to join the mod_python list!

I believe that mod_python needs to be more featured on the apache
website, just as mod_perl and PHP.  As a developer who has worked with
perl for quite sometime, I have run into perl's limitations in a large
scale applications.  I began to seek out other choices that offered both
performance and a strong OO base from which management of large scale
applications.  I had looked at python before, but didn't know of
mod_python - and running something in the CGI space is sooo 1996 =D

Though another project I came to find mailman, and though the mailman
docs I came to find out about mod_python.  Mailman IMHO is a strong
reason why python can compete as a "web language", offering the OO of
Java without the performance hit or running a separate server just for
Java (ala Tomcat).

I also think mod_python will begin to gain a larger following as Apache
2.0 is deployed.  Python just strikes me as a much better language to
fit in with the new format and concepts of the Apache 2.0 modules.

Perl, Python, and PHP each have their own strengths and faults when used
under Apache.  Not one of them will ever replace the need for the other,
and I hope they never try to.  Different application have different
goals and require different approaches.  I feel all warm and fuzzy
inside thinking about how the open source community has provided me with
a solution for every need.  Python is one of those solutions, and every
bit as worthy of python.apache.org as the rest.

Mike
--
Michael C. Neel
There are only 10 types of people in the world;