[mod_python] mod_python link on Apache web page?

Fabian Fagerholm fabbe at paniq.net
Fri Aug 23 14:01:55 EST 2002

On Fri, 2002-08-23 at 14:08, vmilitaru at sympatico.ca wrote:
[on approaching the ASF]
> Simple, direct, cutting the bull to a minimum. If that's feasible, or not,
> you'll know, and why, and won't waste your time further if it's a no no.
> You don't need all this consulting the greater Python community for some link
> on a web page.

I disagree. Cutting the bull to a minimum is of course desirable, but I
think you're underestimating the impact of a "python.apache.org". It's
not just "some link on a web page". It's an endorsement by an
organisation that has become quite influential over the years.

This is not to say that one should come crawling on one's knees, begging
for a "link on your web page". Instead, one should show some sign of
being a good partner with some organisational skills.

> Grisha developped
> mod_python on his own, and though I may be mistaken, I don't recall him
> talking about doing much consulting previous to starting that project.

Grisha's contribution should definately be valued very highly. This is
the exact reason that I choose to discuss things first instead of
heading off in some unannounced direction. Since Grisha is the author of
mod_python, he should have a say in this. For instance, he might've said
that he wants to continue development in peace and quiet for a while,
and I would've backed off on this. I think asking was the least I could
do to show some respect.

> My opinion (again). In case nobody else has one on this specific political
> topic, or don't agree with you, just do it anyway, and share your results
> with the list. What's the worst that can happen? Yo'll get flamed ?

Flame away :)

As you'll notice, I posted a message to python-list and the
marketing-python list, with Cc to this list. We'll see what happens and
if I feel it is the right thing to do, I'll continue with this project.

Basically, I think there's no reason to rush. If something can be done
today, it can probably be done tomorrow as well - and you'll get a
chance to think it over one more time. If tomorrow it turns out it can't
be done after all, then you'll be lucky you didn't waste time on it
today.

Cheers,
Fabian