[mod_python] Complicated GET configuration

Hunter Matthews thm at duke.edu
Fri Aug 16 13:22:30 EST 2002

I've got a configuration requirement for mod_python that I'm not sure
how to fill. I think I'm about 90% of the way there, but...

Basically I'm writing a server for a client I don't control. The client
can put out 2 kinds of requests.

POST requests that are simple XMLRPC calls.
One of the idiosyncrases of the client is that the URL that is requested
is ALWAYS just /XMLRPC  - there is no script name or whatever.
I can handler these fine with the following config snippet:

<Location /XMLRPC>
    SetHandler python-program
    PythonHandler current_apache
</Location>

The GET requests have me stymied - to transfer big files, the client
uses GET requests. I'd like to have apache itself do the actual shifting
of bits, and just let my server application handle the authentication
that is required.

What I had as a first attempt was:
<Location /XMLRPC/$RHN>
    SetHandler python-program
    PythonAuthzHandler current_apache
</Location>

But this is clearly wrong (and it doesn't work, either :)
Because I have the SetHandler, mod_python tries to handle ALL the
different parts of the request, when I only want it to handle the Authz
stage: if that PythonAuthzHandler returns  apache.OK, then I would like
apache to pick up the URL and just fling it back at the client - the
python part is done.

If any other information is needed, please let me know.

Please note I can't change the client.

--
Hunter Matthews                          Unix / Network Administrator
Office: BioScience 145/244               Duke Univ. Biology Department