[mod_python] sessions again

Mark Constable markc at renta.net
Wed Nov 14 21:12:56 EST 2001

On Wed, 14 Nov 2001 20:12, Geert Jansen wrote:

> Maybe there is a lack of interest because mod_python is thought to be on a
> lower level than PHP. I see mod_python as apache/python integration
> software, not as a e-content system. There are no templates, no sessions,
> there is no standard library. These of course can all be built on top of
> mod_python, but there is (not yet) a standard content system that is
> regarded as _the_ content system for mod_python. [yes, I know the
> publisher, but I don't consider that to be a full blown e-content system]

I don't expect it to be either and I'm not really after
someone elses idea of what a CMS should be, but various
low(ish) level components like a generic sessions system
written by people far more experienced in python than me
would give me more confidence that something so close to
authentication is done right.

> Sessions, for example, would require a database to back the session data,
> something that is out of scope for mod_python. Also templates would be
> handy.

I'm after a PHP4 sessions clone, persistant store in /tmp
and fallback to transparent URL if cookies are not available.

Anyone out there know of any such beast ?

This seems like a rather simple and generic requirement to me.
Obviously if I was more competent in python I would be able
to knock something together, and also put it somewhere public
to save other PHP4 refugees from extra overload and confusion
when/if they start to consider python.

> AFAIK there is some software (webware, cheetah, ...) out there that builds
> on mod_python but I didn't like it. That's why I wrote my own e-content
> system. If you seach the archives you'll find a link to a preview version
> of it.

"search the archives"... hmm, wish I knew how to do that ?
Am I supposed to just keep looking thru all these messages
until I find the right one ?

 http://www.modpython.org/pipermail/mod_python/

> I agree with you that this distinction should be made more clear. IMHO
> mod_python is _not_ an e-content system. It is not a PHP.

Maybe you have not actually used PHP(4) but it is
certainly not a CMS either. It takes a lot of PHP code
to make a decent content management system... and to
be clear, my use of the meaning "PHP-like" simply means
not being an oh-so dumb and slow CGI. I am not looking
for a CMS (tho a "good" one would be nice) but some sane
python system that are not CGIs (that's going backwards
from using PHP, not forward).

mod_python + publisher is the closest I've been able to
find to PHP, so far, and looks potentially more powerful,
just missing a few of key components.

--markc