[mod_python] Some questions

Steve Freitas steve at ihonk.com
Tue Nov 6 20:49:45 EST 2001

Hi,

I'm happily playing with mod_python 2.76 on Redhat 7.2. First I'd like to
say thanks for the docs. They're very well written -- I only wish you'd
written a whole book instead. :-) I'm looking forward to writing a customer
application in it.

I'm using mod_python.publisher to allow URL-level access to functions inside
a module, and I want to test protection of a function by prefixing its name
with an underscore. So first I set up httpd.conf with these lines:

AddHandler python-program .py
PythonHandler mod_python.publisher

Then I entered this into the module, myscript.py:

from mod_python import apache

def _blah(req):

    req.content_type = "text/html"
    req.send_http_header()
    req.write("Uh oh, you shouldn't be seeing this...")

    return apache

So when I go to the URL "http://127.0.0.1/myscript.py/blah", I get varying
results each time I reload the page. Sometimes I just get the "Uh oh" line
of text, other times I get the line of text plus Apache's version & modules
info, plus an Apache internal error message. If I remove the underscore, it
behaves as it should, just giving me the line of text.

Did I misunderstand this whole underscore thing?

Also, I may have a correction for the docs. In section 3.4, in the feedback
form HTML, in order to get the demo to work I had to change the action
element to read:

<form action="form.py/email" method="POST">

Was this just a doc mistake, or does it indicate that something is different
about my setup?

Finally, RH comes with threaded Python. What are the potential problems
stemming from this?

Thanks for your help!

Steve Freitas