[mod_python] Session data

Dave Cole djc at object-craft.com.au
Wed May 30 10:23:48 EST 2001

>>>>> "Gregory" == Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy <grisha at modpython.org> writes:

Gregory> This does indeed seem to be a FAQ, but I don't know if there
Gregory> is a straight answer to it.

Gregory> In *my* opinion, trying to maintain state within the server
Gregory> is not scalable and should be avoided. State should be
Gregory> maintained on the client side with cookies and url's.

Your choice of how to retain session state depends entirely on the
type of application you are building.

Gregory> Since Apache 1.3 runs multiple processes, it is impossible to
Gregory> share memory between them and therefore maintain state in the
Gregory> server.

That is not strictly true.  If you wish to retain state at the server,
you have to write some code.  You can either save state in some sort
of database (not necessarily relational) at the server, or you can
build a session server and cache connections to the server in your
mod_python program.

- Dave

--
http://www.object-craft.com.au