[mod_python] Session data

Bo Lorentsen bl at netgroup.dk
Tue May 29 14:50:28 EST 2001

"Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy" wrote:

> In *my* opinion, trying to maintain state within the server is not
> scalable and should be avoided. State should be maintained on the client
> side with cookies and url's.

If this is so, shouldn't there be some sort of interface for this ? Or is
this something I should have known more about if I had known the Apache
server better ?

> Since Apache 1.3 runs multiple processes, it is impossible to share memory
> between them and therefore maintain state in the server.

Aha, so this is why the JavaServer make its own service, the Apache direct
requests to !

> But even with the new Apache 2.0 (which mod_python does not yet support),
> which will be multithreaded, I would stay away from putting state on the
> server. If I ever decided that my site is too busy and needs balancing
> across multiple servers, I'd be in trouble... Also consider situations
> when a request may never reach a server because of some cache inbewteen.

You absolutely got a point there.

I just need to gain knowledge about some other ways of maintaining session
data, as until now, I thought that a cookie were just a session reference
number of a kind.

/BL