[mod_python] Session data

Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy grisha at modpython.org
Tue May 29 08:35:11 EST 2001

This does indeed seem to be a FAQ, but I don't know if there is a straight
answer to it.

In *my* opinion, trying to maintain state within the server is not
scalable and should be avoided. State should be maintained on the client
side with cookies and url's.

Since Apache 1.3 runs multiple processes, it is impossible to share memory
between them and therefore maintain state in the server.

But even with the new Apache 2.0 (which mod_python does not yet support),
which will be multithreaded, I would stay away from putting state on the
server. If I ever decided that my site is too busy and needs balancing
across multiple servers, I'd be in trouble... Also consider situations
when a request may never reach a server because of some cache inbewteen.

Grisha