[mod_python] Persistent variable again...

Chris Hagner CHagner at fool.com
Wed Apr 18 00:40:29 EST 2001

On the issue of supporting modules (i.e. user sessions), there are simply
too many ways to implement something like that to make it worth coupling it
to mod_python.  You'll either try to be too much for too many people (the
classic framework error) or you'll be so custom to your needs that your
audience is just you (not a bad thing, just not a place for a solution like
mod_python).

I completely agree with Grisha that even the handler is outside of the core
mod_python functionality.  That being said, a listing of available handlers
on the web site would be very useful for those starting/considering using
mod_python.  I do think that having this area up there (even it's a bit
spares initially) will motivate others to share their handlers/frameworks
that are used with mod_python.

What other handlers have people written?  I've got one that implements a
servlet-like call mechanism (thereby avoiding the urls being mapped to
script files).  It's not for everyone, but a perfect example of a decision
that was made for a specific need.

Chris