[mod_python] .htaccess and httpd.conf

Steven D. Arnold stevena at permanent.cc
Sun May 21 17:56:24 EST 2000

At 02:38 PM 5/21/2000 -0700, Wayne Izatt wrote:
>Hi all. I've built and installed a mod_python enabled apache. However,
>I'm not sure what, if any, directives I need to add to httpd.conf to get
>it to pass .py files to the python handler. When I point my browser at
>the test script, all that I get is the script in the browser window.
>
>Perhaps someone has a sample httpd.conf (just the handler stuff will do)
>or a vanilla .htaccess (if that's where the directives should go).
>
>(Yes, I've followed the installation instructions, but something simple
>is still eluding me).

I'm having the same experience.

I tried the following directives:

Alias /python /usr/local/apache/htdocs/python

<Location /python/>
     AllowOverride All
     AddHandler python-program .py
     PythonDebug
     PythonHandler test
</Location>

When I try loading the page, I get this error:

\nERROR mod_python: "PythonHandler test"

Traceback (innermost last):

File "/usr/local/lib/python1.5/site-packages/mod_python/apache.py", line
107, in Dispatch object = self.resolve_object(module_name, object_str)

File "/usr/local/lib/python1.5/site-packages/mod_python/apache.py", line
70, in resolve_object raise "ResolveError", "Couldn't resolve object '%s'
in module '%s'." % \

ResolveError: Couldn't resolve object 'handler' in module 'test'.

NOTE: More output from other handlers, if any, may follow. This will NOT
happen, and request processing will STOP at this point when you remove
PythonDebug directive.

I'm not quite sure what I'm doing wrong.  Any ideas?

steve

Steven D. Arnold          Que quiero sera           stevena at permanent.cc
"We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not
because they are easy, but because they are hard."    -- John F. Kennedy