[mod_python] mod_python 2.0

Gregory Trubetskoy grisha at modpython.org
Tue May 23 07:28:36 EST 2000

On Mon, 22 May 2000, Damian Morton wrote:

> I understand that the issue is that Apache runs serveral processes to
> optimise performance, and that each request will likely get routed to
> different processes, each one having its own (global?) data.

This is hardly a mod_python issue, but...

There are basically two common ways of sharing data - through a backend
database like MySQL or via a file. With a file you will need a locking
mechanism of some sort.

I, personally, have yet to find an application where there is a true need
for global data (other than a backend database). HTTP applications, given
the stateless nature of the protocol, have eveolved with other ways to
retain state - cookies, URL's, form data and those are usually sufficient.

HTH -

Grisha