[mod_python] make_obcallback(): could not import mod_python.apache.

Hr. Daniel Mikkelsen daniel at copyleft.no
Sun Jun 11 14:44:00 EST 2000

Hi.

I'm getting this error in my mail apache error_log when I try to start
httpd after having added mod_python 2.3 as a DSO:

make_obcallback(): could not import mod_python.apache.
make_obcallback(): could not call init.
[Sun Jun 11 14:33:49 2000] [error] python_init: get_obcallback returned no
  obCallBack. Possibly no more memory.

In version 2.2, I had the same problem (I switched to 2.3 while trying to
figure it out), with two exceptions. The last line in the error message
wasn't there, and apache didn't fail in starting (only in running .py test
files).

Now, when I ran httpdapy, earlier, I had a very similar problem with
tracebacks about how it couldn't load certain python modules (apache.py
for instance), and apache failed to load in the same way. I solved the
problem by setting the PYTHONPATH correctly.

Changing PYTHONPATH doesn't seem to work now, however. I have the .py
files wich came with mod_python 2.3 in my
/usr/local/lib/python1.5/site-packages directory. I have compiled a
threadless python that expects (I assume, having given no --prefix=...
statement to its ./configure) to find scripts there. I've linked my
mod_python DSO with this verison of python.

My setup is an OpenBSD 2.6 (using the apache that comes bundled), Python
1.5, enough memory (128Mb of which 81 are reported "free" byt top).

I'm trying to load the test.py given in the installation docs, and the
zhello.py given in the zhandler docs.

Any ideas?

-- Daniel Mikkelsen, Copyleft Software