[mod_python] rpm-packaging and DESTDIR

Gregory Trubetskoy grisha at modpython.org
Thu Dec 28 10:37:13 EST 2000

On Thu, 28 Dec 2000, Mads Kiilerich wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm hacking the RedHat RPM specs.
>
> First, I've found that
> 	./configure --prefix=something
> has no effect at all.

That is correct. There are two prefixes that depend on two things - the
Python location and the Apache location, both of which are predetermined.

> It should either be fixed or removed from the documentation.

I don't think it is in the documentation.

> For RPM packaging installation in another directory than the one
> compiled for is essential. Thus I suggest the attached patch. It
> causes any installation to be done below $DESTDIR . If no
> DESTDIR is defined in the environment it has no effect.

Antonio Navarro Navarro <hostmaster at bemarnet.es> has volunteered to create
RPM's, check with him.

I would need some more convincing to add the mod_python.spec to cvs - I
really don't see why RedHat support whould be part of mod_python core
project. If we're going to maintin RPM's, then why not Debian packages,
sun packages, FreeBSD ports, Windows InstallShield, etc, etc.

I'm not saying these things are bad, I'm just saying they are outside the
scope of mod_python core, which is Apache/Python integration. At best
RPM's fall in the category of "contrib" stuff - if someone wants to
maintin them that is great, but I do not want to create the impression
that when a user downloads a mod_python.tgz that I somehow vouch for the
RedHat compatibility - because I don't. Not anymore than any other OS or
Linux distribution.

As far as I know, Debian already has a mod_python package that they
maintain under their CVS, FreeBSD has a mod_python port that is maintained
in the FreeBSD ports CVS. RPM support initiative should come from RedHat
if they find mod_python useful. Until that day, I'm willing to support a
spec and make RPM's downloadable, but I don't want RPM support to be part
of mod_python.

I hope I'm making sense here :-)

Grisha